Friday, June 15, 2012

Glazed Mugs,

These are the way some of the mugs finished out from the last glaze firing,
 
 On the whole, the clear gloss covered the underglaze parts a lot better without getting rough.
 On the inside of them, I used a commercial glaze from Coyote, in a few different colors,
 These two below, I omitted putting on the wash of dark grey, and the blue is a lot paler than before,
 In the photo below are two mugs that show similar decoration, but show how the clear glaze has become a lot better, and also shows how the wash affects the final outcome.  On the earlier mug on the left, the glay lines on either side of the turquoise are incised and filled in with the wash, and on the later mug, they are trailed on with a brown underglaze,
 I like the inside of the mugs being a different color,
On this one, the white flower parts were masked with newspaper when I painted on the blue underglaze.  The black lines were added with an underglaze pencil on bisque, and the dots added with underglaze.  The commercial colored glazes have a tendancy to run where they meet with the clear glaze. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love your mugs Michelle! I can see you love to experiment with different techniques too! I've done the wash (except that I used black u/g) on some bowls and tumblers. I LOVE anything distressed and so thought I'd like it on my pottery. I have mixed feelings about it. If only it would just stay in my incised lines and not dirty up all the exposed white clay. What's your opinion it it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's exactly the problem-- i want it to go into the incising, and also make a little halo around the slip trailing, but it is hard to control over the broader swathes of color-- and it can really change the color of the underglazes I'm using. I tried mixing a bit of a brown glaze that had red iron oxide in it into the wash and that worked a bit better (but not ideal) I like "distressed things too. The other thing I tried was putting a brown underglaze under the lighter underglaze, and that gave the "dirtied up" look, but it would be pretty tedious to do that over a whole piece, plus a bit wasteful when you're using a purchased underglaze -- maybe a slip or terra sig might work, My other main problem right now is in the clear glaze that im using. Sometimes it comes out all nice and glossy and transparent, and other times it gets milky looking. Of course I am just working at someone else's studio and have no control over the firing. I think sometimes it depends on where things end up in the kiln, that the things on the bottom don't get as mature or perhaps sometimes it's fired to a cone 6 and sometimes to a cone7. I am getting back to Saskatoon late next week, and will be so happy to be home-- the first thing I want to do is to fix up the little shed in our back yard into a studio-- get out my equipment from storage where it's been for the past 11 years! By the way, I've really enjoyed reading about your clay adventures on your blog! Michelle

    ReplyDelete