Tuesday, August 28, 2012

And more about Waiting

and Molly, I take your point about how waiting can be a good thing.  It can be an opportunity.  I am often impatient, and want to forge ahead.   This inability to fire anything, and to see what the pieces will look like when they have been glazed is difficult, because I would like to have that information to incorporate into further pieces.  However, it is somehow lengthening the time phase where I am experimenting with surface design.  It makes me think about different things than what I probably would be thinking about if I had been able to go ahead with the firing and glazing. 

One thing that has occurred is that I find myself looking for some specific types of imagery to add my stock.  I am finding out which types of shapes and areas balance each other, and which types I wish I had a bit more variety to choose from. 
Although I'm using a variety of techniques in combination-- silk-screen, mishima line drawings, stamped impressions, slip trailing, sgraffito and brush-work- some days I gravitate more to one technique than another.  I have been enjoying the silk-screening on clay and have decided to beef up my stock of screens.  So yesterday I went to an art supply store and got the basic tools to make silk screens here at home.  All the ones I've been using were made in Savannah, at Lisa's studio, The Clay Spot!! (which I miss!)
I also went to the library to leaf through some books on design for inspiration.  (Although I should probably have just sat myself down and made a list of what I need/want)  Nevertheless, I came across a quite nice book with crisp black and white illustrations,

 and will try to work something up on paper with my nice black markers, since these are just snippets of pattern, and I'd like the screens to cover a bit more area.







 These last two photos are from a different book, I think it was on English surface design, and these were working drawings for manufacturers.

 Now I have set up a binder with those clear page protectors to store black and white images-- and I foresee a trip to visit the photocopiers at staples in the near future!

3 comments:

  1. what interesting books! I think the idea of a binder with the page protectors is great - the envelope ones are good for a number of small scraps and have you tried putting your drawings on card stock? If you would like to try it - I have some extra here..

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's an awesome book! i looked to see if scad had any of his at the library, but they didn't. he's written more pattern books and i may have to buy some from amazon. i did find a good selection of pattern and design books at the library and i plan to use those for inspirations. i'm so happy you're continuing your awesome work in clay!

    on another note, i bought my first sewing machine and a book called "me and my sewing machine." haha... i've never used a machine before and i am attempting to learn what bobbins are. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love your work, so inspiring! I too have some copywrite-free pattern source books, I got them from the library but they're nowhere near as nice as the one you have.

    Can I ask how you silkscreen onto the bowls, it looks like you screen onto the work once it is completed? Or do you make decals and apply them with the waterslide technique?

    I'm going to have a go at a mug or two this weekend, I'm always scared they'll end up very chunky.

    ReplyDelete