Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Various shapes,

I find that I make little runs of various types of pots, which is probably quite typical of most potters.
Lately there have been:
1. thrown mugs
2. little trays-- rectangular and oval
3. oval slab vases
4. two-sided slab vases
5. cylindrical slab mugs
6. small rounded thrown dishes

I would like to make other items, but I need to make slump or press molds to facilitate those shapes ( things with a curved floor to them)  I have a few things prepared to fire that will be bisque molds, but maybe I should consider plaster.
 Other shapes I need to plan out so that I can develop some templates to construct them from slabs (such as butter dishes).
I think that up to this point the shapes have been driven by the consideration of how to apply decoration to them.  I have been exploring various forms of applying underglaze and slip, including silk-screening onto the form.  It obviously needs some form of flat area.
However, by needing this type of surface, I have discovered some shapes that really appeal to me.  These include the cylindrical slab mug, the 4 sided slab bowl,  rounded oval vases and these 2-sided curved wall vases.


experimenting with a hollow handle a la Sandra Pierrentozi  (sp?)

the upper area is actually a pink background,

all ready for surface decoration!

this one has some extra clay added to the top and lower band

two sides of the same vase.  the dark grey areas are just the bare clay showing, which will be white when completed.

Being pretty new to slab construction, I have been making quite simple forms.  No lids yet!  I think that there is a lot to learn about construction techniques. (Up until this latest spate of hand-building, the most I knew about it was from adding handles to mugs!)  However, I am learning, especially about the nuances of soft to more firm leather hard slabs,...

3 comments:

  1. oh - i do love that bunny mug! and it's been fun following all the experimentation and learning you've been doing this summer, whilst you've been 'pottering' along!
    cheers
    molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Molly, I just can't seem to keep away from the rabbits,

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are getting very intricate:) absolutely love the last vase - can't wait to see what it is like when fired...

    ReplyDelete