Friday, October 5, 2012

A little analysis

I am linking up to the Mud colony site today, here
you can check out what other potters are doing, and it is fun to follow along from week to week. I hope that the link is working I'm still figuring out how to write posted using the iPad app.
This morning I spent a little while in analyzing elements of how to divide the surface up for decorating. It is my own idiosyncratic way of organizing my thoughts, which is by no means a complete reference.
I started with basic ways to divide a cylinder, then moved on to dividing a circle.
Having fun, I moved on to types of lines that I use, types of shapes, and different types of lines.
With all of that it is infinite in how these elements can be combined into patterns. I love pattern!
Maybe at some point I will take some reference photos of some of my favorite combinations of elements, or ones that I think were successful in some way.
In the mean time I have several small pieces that are waiting to be decorated today, so I am sure that my little charts will be useful as a starting point!
Hope you have fun visiting the other clay blogs, and if you arrived here via mudcolony, thanks for your visit, m

3 comments:

  1. Hi....I found you via Mud Colony.....doing what it's supposed to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I found you too....Mud Colony connection is quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never attempted to approach surface design in such an organized manner, analyzing the shapes, sizes, and style of design elements. You've given me much to ponder on this topic. Much of the time I just randomly choose designs for plates, use underglaze in splashes of color, or cover the whole surface with one pattern, but I may have to explore my depth in surface decoration further. Great post, thanks.

    ReplyDelete