Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Little More Each Day

And it's Mud Colony time again! see what other potters are doing, here

Well now that my kiln is operational again, I've been firing it pretty steadily with the stuff I had been accumulating from making things all summer.  It's pretty exciting to see the colors come to life, and I can't stop feeling so happy about the success of the clear glaze.
Today was a gorgeous autumn day, so I was able to take some photos outside.
What I need to do is to try to analyze which colors work well together, what shapes I want to pursue,

two similar cups, with the same color combinations, although the mugs are different shapes, they are about the same size
tray, about 5" x 9", this sort of sagged in the middle,
I liked the way the greens interacted on the silk-screened part of this piece,
I like the buttery yellow background, and the rest is brushwork on this bowl  I might try to use this pattern again
close-up of a couple of layered screens.  I like using some basic shapes as backgrounds.  I also think that the dark brown underglaze is one of the most useful colors.
an artsy shot from above, of some of the little slab vases.  I really enjoyed making these shapes, plus they give a great surface for all sorts of decorative techniques
this shows just how luscious the glaze is. 
thrown mug, hand-built mug.  The glaze covers the rims of the thrown pieces really nicely, but some of the slab pieces are a bit rough on some edges.  I think I need to either smooth them more, or make sure that there is enough glaze on them.  This might also be that the glaze doesn't cover as thickly when there is underglaze on the rim.

handbuilt mug, I like the combo of colors
Maybe I need to make some sort of reference chart to refer to.  It seems that I'm always wanting to make charts...
 Maybe I could pull a lot of info together into a photo collage (or two or three)
four views of one mug. 
 Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. lovely mugs! i do love the bunnies!
    cheers
    molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colours are wonderful! I really love the yellow flowered bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colours are wonderful! I really love the yellow flowered bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely and very interesting - looks like a good beginning for our upcoming show and sale...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just super colors, the yellow bowl and the orange bird are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice Michelle. Love the little finches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your patterns and birds and colour combos ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so pretty! Can I ask a question? Are these made with Little Loafers clay, and if so, what clear glaze have you found to work well with that clay? I'm trying out some LL right now, and I'd like to get an idea of what sort of clear glaze to start testing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete