Tuesday, January 22, 2013

New Directions

I haven't been selling the things I've been making, so even though I've been giving many items as gifts, I am starting to stockpile a lot (really a lot) of mugs, trays, vases and bowls.  At some point, this is sort of disturbing to me.  If I continue to make things, it feels odd to just make them to put in a growing pile of stuff.  Because of this, I decided to branch out into different types of ceramics beyond functional ware. 
One direction that I thought of going is to small sculptures.  This is intriguing to me, but somewhat daunting, for whatever reason. 
Another direction is in to making tiles.  I love tiles, and have loved them for years.  I don't feel bad at all about having big stacks of tiles around. 
So, when I went back to my studio this past week, I rolled out slabs and started cutting tile.  As one thing leads to another, I decided to bring my love of letters into the tile.  So, now I have embarked on  making letter tiles.
Just another surface to play on. 

3 comments:

  1. letter tiles present such glorious possibilities, don't they? looking forward to seeing some of them...
    cheers
    molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you use a tile cutter, put a piece of light plastic or plastic wrap over the slab. This results in a softly curved edge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, what is it about letters that are so interesting? In all their variations they retain their basic characteristics that allow us to recognize them,
    Thanks Theresa, that's a good tip,

    ReplyDelete