Friday, July 27, 2012

My Backyard Studio

I am very fortunate that when we bought our house, there was a little heated shed in the back yard,
part of the back yard,
the back yard shed!
(some more of the back yard)
Entering the shed!
This has now been turned into my clay workshop. 
It is not very big, but that's okay, because I don't plan to make very big pieces.
this is my wheel,

 this shows the whole place,
all my decorating underglazes,
 making mugs,
 I am using a mix of techniques to get the patterns onto the clay,
 decorating seems to proceed at quite a slow pace.  Sometimes I look at a piece later and it seems sort of primitive, but it is the most skilled that I can do at the time, so, all I can hope for is gradual improvement to refine it. 
 I have recently added a couple of more items to my regular line up of mugs--  Some slab trays, and some little thrown bowls, and some hand-built vases.
This is one of the shapes of trays.
 I have ordered some new elements for the kiln.
I am also missing my compadres at the Clay Spot in Savannah,






5 comments:

  1. what a lovely space! and what lovely work you turn out there...
    have you ever considered making a yarn bowl for your knitting/crocheting? they are really nice to have...
    cheers
    molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how you have put so much into that little shed. It looks very inviting and I imagine very quiet other than the birds! They have been very noisy around here lately. Love the patterns - primitive or not they are lovely - and I look forward to seeing them finished:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has a lot of
      stuff in there, and a lot of it is not clay stuff either. I hope to
      get it more organized. I still haven't got a plug for the kiln, and so
      I haven't been able to fire anything, but that's okay. When I do get
      it running I'll need to do some test firing of glazes anyway. This is
      a time when it is best if one isn't too anxious to see a finished
      product,

      Delete
  3. I'm a little slow on my blog reading but wanted to say how great your pottery shed is looking. And as always, love your mugs!

    ReplyDelete