Thursday, July 19, 2012

Some Cross-over

I am a quilter as well as a potter, and often the two crafts intersect.  Most obviously, sometimes I use motifs found on fabrics for decoration.  I also seem to echo color combinations, and repeating shapes. 
This photo shows the same design that was a machine quilting sample used as a mishima decoration:

 I think that machine quilting designs lend themselves particularly well to slip trailing as well.

 and of course, I can't keep myself from dividing up a pot into pieces to decorate with different patterns...

4 comments:

  1. 'no learning is ever wasted' - this old saying seems to hold true here. designs can slide easily from medium to another - often with surprisingly beautiful results!
    cheers
    molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like the image of designs "sliding" from place to place! I do like to see how the same designs, or decorations pop up in various places, and how various people use similar motifs in different ways,

      Delete
  2. I love the "sliding" imagery too! Creating patterns for your pottery from quilting is brilliant...I love how things crossover from one art form to the next! Similar to the decorative tooling on western saddle too! -for the horse enthusiasts in the crowd :D!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and for the painters:) I used one of the quilting fabrics from the shop as a wallpaper design behind a still life... endless possibilities.

    ReplyDelete