Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Clay on Pause button

Last night was our clay class (thanks Mitzi!) and it was fun, again.
I threw some mugs and a bowl, and so I went back today to get handles on them and clean them up since I'll be away for a couple of weeks.
It is a nice place to go.  Lisa is the owner, and I believe that a place like that ( workroom, or a studio) takes it's cues from who is running it. She is very calm and laid-back and really willing to help out if you want advice.  There are also some "regulars" who go there in the afternoon who are also interesting to talk to.  It was such a good idea to get back to clay via this route.

I photographed a couple of things from the last glaze fire, and a couple of things from in the cupboard here, too!
 this mug used moon white clay, with medium blue moon white slip, and the rectangle of white is Loafer's glory slip. I wanted to see if they are compatible, and they are.  (No cracking in the white).  After they were bisque fired, I used a black underglaze pencil to draw the little dandelion design, and rose underglaze dots.  Covered in clear glaze.
Used this mug a couple of times and there is crazing in the glaze-- maybe the glaze fits the Loafer's glory clay better?

 A small mug-again with the moon white, with white satin glaze, with dots of Moss Green glaze, and the light green stripes are with avocado glaze stain/Gerstley Borate half and half.  Again the crazing, but what is nice is that the glaze stain is really nice on this glaze.  (I've had a lot of trouble in the past with overglaze decoration)
 Another small little cup, with the same combo as previous little mug, with the addition of the rim being dipped in Neptune blue glaze.  The blue was not as dark as I thought it would be. 
The white satin came out more as a translucent satin,
We'll see how it behaves on the Loafer's Glory.

The following are from ages ago, when I did the navy slip sgraffito stuff. 
It was such a dark blue that sometimes people thought it was black,
 We use this sugar bowl all the time. 
It has a chrysanthemum design on the lid.  It was inspired by Japanese designs.

 I was doing some decorating today, and Lisa surprised me by saying that she should try to be a little more loose in her decoration,( i.e. like I was being).  which surprised me a great deal, since I have always been so controlled.  You can see that on these last two pots, they are very "not loose", but my goal is also to be less tight, and more spontaneous.  Funny, isn't it, how we sometimes see things so differently.

1 comment: