Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Out of the kiln

After missing my class last Monday it was especially nice to go last night. It was also exciting because some things had been fired.
The test tiles with the underglazes were especially interesting to me. Some of them were really altered by the addition of a black stain wash.

I noticed on the two small mugs that the glaze was a bit thin in spots. I could either hold it in longer or try to let it dry out between the time when I apply the wash and when it gets glazed.

A bisque fire had also completed and so I have some things to glaze. I put a black was on most of the stuff and will go back and glaze it this afternoon. The birds I decided to just stop at the wash and get them fired to cone six because I still am a bit puzzled on how to keep them from sticking to the kiln shelf. Later I may need to devise some sort of apparatus to prop them on to similar to stilts.

2 comments: