Saturday, April 7, 2012

Some Mugs to Decorate

When I was at the studio yesterday, there were lots of glaze results to see,
Most of them were bad, but there was some good information.  Of course I totally forgot to take photos! 
I left a few of the reference pieces there.  They were the ones with the stripes of underglaze colors under the clear glaze and over top of the satin and gloss whites.
I brought some of the others home, so as not to clutter up the studio, so I will take photos later-- for sure! 
I glazed the test tiles and two of the mugs that I had decorated with the underglazes with clear glaze after painting on a thin wash of black to antique them. Hopefully they will be fired by Monday night so I can see them before I go away.
I also brought home a bunch of greenware mugs to decorate!
Most of these mugs are in the shape that I associate with Mel Bolen.  (my hero!)  I have always liked his pottery best of any I've ever seen.
He has used this wide-based, concave shape for many years, and we've used his mugs for a long time at home.  Richard likes the cups a lot because of the stability that the wide base provides.  I like the way they balance. 
 There are a couple of other shapes here, just to try.  The tall cylinder, and the one below that has the orange on it.
In the cylinder one above, I did some incised lines with a pencil, and have painted the motifs with a white glue.  After it dries I will try to wipe away the clay background with a damp sponge.  I'll glaze it with one of the glazes like Butterscotch that breaks over texture. 
The other ones will be straightforward painting in colors.  Maybe a little bit of slip trailed dots or squiggles....
I like the clay so much at this stage....

No comments:

Post a Comment