Saturday, April 28, 2012

"Mug Analysis"

-- being quite a blow by blow description of what went down on this first batch of mugs...

1.  my favorite at the moment, as you can tell from the coffee drip.  I like the color off this green, but there was some crawling.  I think because I used the black wash under the glaze, which could have acted like dust, and Lisa said that this is sort of a finicky glaze.

2.  Least favorite.  I don't like the great big leaf being so dark against the lightness of the flower.  Also, the flower could be outlined a bit more.  Also, the mugs look a lot better with a more pronounced foot "bump"

3. again, the carved drawing lines didn't pick up the black wash very well. 

4.  this looks a lot like a Mel Bolen mug to me.  On the positive side, the incised lines did pick up the black quite well, and there is also a nice halo of grey around the slip trailed dots!
same mug, shot of handle
5.  I like this mug, but the transparent glaze looks quite milky.  These were all on the bottom shelf of the kiln, so maybe it was cooler down there.  I wonder if I should re-fire them and see what happens
here you can see that the glaze is pretty stony down on the bottom edge.  Do you think that re-firing makes a piece warp more?
6.  The background of the main section on this one was rose underglaze.  Now it appears sort of grey,
7.  the turquoise blue seems pretty reliable.  Haven't got a clue what the color was on the top edge.
8.  light blue and grey , the decorative lines are pretty faint.
9.  This one is supposed to be orange.  again, the glaze is pretty milky,
where it was thinner on the top edge, you can see the color a bit better.  Re-fire? I sort of like this shape, and the bottom edge,
10.  Another one with this green glaze,  lots of crawling. These ones I brushed wax on the circles, and along the straight vertical edge, wiped away the dry clay to get the relief.  I really like this effect. 
11. Again, I really like the glaze trailed stuff.

12
and just for something different, a tile.  it had mishima where the black is.  I like the tree on the bottom right edge.  I think I might try it in slip trailing with charcoal grey slip.  
That's the initial round-up.  Feedback is welcomed.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle. You got some great effects playing with the slips and glazes. Love #11 with the slip trailed circles. The green glaze has a pretty, antique look to it. Too bad about the crawling. I never had much luck with refiring, my self. I found the glazes tended to dull and get murky looking over slips. I'd love to know how it works out for you if you try. Have fun, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lookin' good, good lookin'! As far as surface goes, I think your most successful mugs have been those you slip trailed (however, that mishima kicks ass). There's something really nice and simple about having the texture of the slip floating on the colored background.
    As far as the form, I think #1 the green one (your favorite) is the most successful. The shape of the cup matches the handle very well. On a few of the others, maybe that is what is lacking. There is a big difference between handle #6 and #8. I think the thicker handles look better with flared form. :)

    I'm going to miss seeing you around every Monday night. It was lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete