Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Making some Progress,

I fired the bottom ring of my little, newly hooked up kiln yesterday! Yippee! 
 So, now I have a bit of bisque, including some test cylinders,
 Already the underglaze colors look brighter, so it will be exiting to see them with the glaze over top.  I have 2 glazes that I want to test, one from Lisa in Savannah, and one from the Digital Fire/Plainsman web-site. I went to Tree (the pottery supply place here in Saskatoon) and what a co-incidence, she had a test cylinder with the exact same glaze on it that I meant to test!!  (the frit that I requested is an odd one, and she had just got some of it in to mix up this same glaze) 

(the underside of some little dishes that I made some weeks ago)
So after seeing the sample of the glaze, I am super excited to try it myself!
 One of the things that I threw in my first bisque firing were these three flat shapes that I cut out to use as push molds for more little trays.  these will be a bit larger than the ones in the previous photo,, about 5" x 8" or so,
Of course I fired another load today.
I wonder if my little half-kiln would make it up to cone six before I get the new elements....

6 comments:

  1. what fun you're having with your pottery! your brain just has so many creative things rolling around in it! i'm not so much amazed by that - i've known that for a long time - but i am astounded at your energy!
    cheers
    molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love having my own personal kiln! I know you are super excited to get things through the process. Congrats! Also, you're pieces look wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, both of you, I am so happy in general that I got back to playing with clay this year. It is sometimes rocky to get all the systems up and running, but it will eventually be in place, ... This is how a person develops patience, I suppose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm Linking this post to the mud colony page, for the first time, so if you came here from there, Hello!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michelle I'm visiting from Mud Colony. Your work is lovely and I'm looking forward to seeing them with their glaze coat on! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one full kiln load, great photo of your super looking pot undersides, do you sign your name in slip or underglaze? how unique. I always wonder what my underglazes will look like after firing and am many times surprised.

    ReplyDelete