Sunday, September 30, 2012

In the style of....

A little while back, I was raving about the work of Anna Lambert.  I really like it.  Part of its appeal to me is in the surface treatment, which is very nature inspired, like rocks and bark.  The other thing that I like a lot is the shapes she is creating.
 Back in the spring, I had made some little birds, and also some clay "stones".  I really liked the surfaces of the stones, they seem really life-like.  But, I was mulling over how to apply them to a useful pot, and even made a little decorative tree, (which seems to be lost), thinking to perch the birds on the branches,
They are painted with underglazes, and just fired up to cone 6 with no glaze.  I did make a couple of other birds, one white one, and a turquoise one which sadly lost it's tail.
So when I saw her work, it was an "a-ha!" moment, where I really appreciated how she had worked all the elements together.

Digression-- I also really like sea shells-- these are some weathered ones that my brother-in-law has picked up while he's out on the water,

So, on the first day back at the studio, I built some slab forms that I am applying similar nature-like surfaces to.  Obviously in the style of Anna Lambert.  I'm sure that some people would think this is like copying her work, and in a way it is.  However, I am trying to figure something out, and it seems that this is one path-way to try and do that. 
 I doubt very much if I'll make many of these pieces, and of course they're just for me, but they might be a stepping stone to something else down the road. 
 Does anyone else in clay learn that way?  Sort of a gray area that I haven't figured out the ethics about. Personally, I have no problem with anyone seeing something I make and doing something similar, but I know not everyone feels the same way.  Intellectual "property" and "possession" are respected ideals, but don't we learn from others too?  If you have any thoughts on the matter, feel free to comment, I'd like to clarify my thoughts on this issue, thanks, Michelle

1 comment:

  1. well lots of artists have learned to paint by copying "the masters" [isn't that how most of us learn?] - the point is to remember they are copies/imitations.... and I suspect mine would be pretty obvious copies!

    What I understand re art is that copies as well as art produced in the classroom [where they have had input from the teacher] are pieces that are your's to keep or give away - ie. should not be put out there for sale.... [odd to go to a show and see several renditions of the same scene:) - but that has happened!] that being said - your own work which may reflect a specific style used by another artist is your's to sell - after all, no matter what style we may learn from we seem to put our own 'twist' on it....just my thoughts:)

    ReplyDelete